Thursday, October 6, 2011

Honda Odyssey engine light came on after oil and air filter change. Are they related?

I took my 2002 Odyssey to the dealer for oil and air filter change. The engine light came on the next day after the service. Does it have anything to do with the service performed? I did have problem with the dealer's oil change in the past. They did not fill my tires after I specifically told them to check my air pressure as I was taking my family with young children to Florida for vacation! Unfortunately, I live very far away from other Honda dealers. If I take my car back to the current dealer, they probably will charge me $50 to $100 for diagnosis. Any advice?
Honda Odyssey engine light came on after oil and air filter change. Are they related?
I would say yes, the check engine light is indicative that they have done something wrong. Take it back and insist the workshop foreman checks over your vehicle, and they let you watch to make sure they don't try and pull a dodgy on you. If necessary, have him look over it in the carpark - they may not let you in the workshop without safety boots and eye protection on.



They can't legally charge you for fixing a mistake they made... Check the oil level, check whether the filter is screwed on tight. Does the engine sound rattlier/noisier than before?





Edit: Oh hell, why do people who don't know what they're talking about answer these questions? The check engine light is serious business, it could be an o2 sensor, but so soon after an oil change is much more likely to be related to the engine lubrication system. Which is VITAL, and if there is a serious fault, could completely F.U.C.K your engine!
Honda Odyssey engine light came on after oil and air filter change. Are they related?
The engine light tells you that your emissions does not have the right Carbon Dioxide / Oxygen mixture coming from engine. That tells you something is amiss.



It could be the air cleaner not allowing enough oxygen into the engine, or allowing too much oxy into the engine by not being installed properly.



It could also be the O2 sensor in the exhaust system is bad. Or the computer isn't adjusting the engine timing, fuel richness correctly, or the computer could be giving false readings.



Take it to another mechanic if you don't trust the one you have been seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment