Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How often do I change my cars air filter?

I drive about 6000 miles a year, and I changed it about 2 years ago. I live in california, and not much dust or sand around.
How often do I change my cars air filter?
California has a lot of silica sand (clear hard to see particles) that is airborne so changing it every six months regardless of mileage is recommended. If you bang it on a black piece of paper you will see lots of it falls off. They are very cheap and not worth the trouble of ending up with a clogged one as you try to climb steep hills. If you change the cheap things often, like oil, fuel filter, air filter and radiator fluid your car will last a very long time. That is the real secret to having a car go for what seams like forever. Ever wonder we two guys with the same car have them in different conditions.
How often do I change my cars air filter?
Cheap quick way to help fuel economy; I get mine about every 18 months
Just replace it every few years or if you notice a problem.
oh I would still change it about twice a year.
Typically 12,000 miles would be fine as long as you are not in dust or doing heavy towing. You will be fine for every 2 years. While you are at it, change your fuel filter at the same time ;-)



Hope this helps and good luck
Check your filter and see how much dirt is in there. If there isn't much, or if its still kinda white, then don't worry about it. If its dark, then replace it. Its $12 to 15 for a new one. So, its not that bad.
I change mine lat least once a year, twice if I can remember. Especially now that I have an SUV.
A good rule of the thumb. Take the filter off, hold it against light (sun light can work) and if you can see light is ok. Use your judgment. If you drive a lot of urban miles I would say 1 to 2 years is ok. If you go off road, check your filter when you do maintenance and change it accordingly.



The Owner's Manual tells you when to change it too and how.
check your owners manual to see what they recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment