Thursday, October 6, 2011

How do I get rid of the moldy smell coming from my car air conditioner. replaced cabin filter and still smells

I keep my car very clean and change the cabin air filter every few months. All of a sudden, when I turn the air conditioning on the air coming out smells like wet dog, or moldy feet. I took the air filter out thinking it was the problem, but the smell remains. How do I get rid of the smell?
How do I get rid of the moldy smell coming from my car air conditioner. replaced cabin filter and still smells
Try BG Frigi-Fresh... recommended by mechanic and only available, at the time, at a local VW or Volvo dealership. The stuff worked... Try a search on Yahoo!... It'll tell you the same...
How do I get rid of the moldy smell coming from my car air conditioner. replaced cabin filter and still smells
%26quot;The smell was not present at the beginning of the warm weather. Only started in the past week.



I bought the car used, but have had it for 2 years. It is a 2001 Lexus RX300.%26quot; It is complicated problem

Report Abuse


Try checking the condenser unit it may be faulty.
check there are no leaves behind the radiator
from not using it all winter it will have a smell,try getting it cleaned and recharged,i would just spray febreeze(thats what i use all the time)

good luck
I have the same problem and was told that mold is in the compressor.

Wal Mart sells some product that you can put in and will get rid of the smell.

I think a drain hose is clogged up and mold is being formed inside.
I would look in the duct work to make sure something didn't get put in causing the smell first off. Also talk to a dealership and see if maybe the water from your AC condensor might be collecting in the duct work causing the smell.



The best way to remove any odor from any car is by using an ionizing machine. You also see this same machine on TV as the Ionic Breeze by Sharper Image.



Some detail shops will carry this machine and offer the service. To remove the smell the machine needs to run at least 12 hours but I would recommend up to 24 hrs if really bad. If you are a real fruggle on keeping your car clean and smell free I would just buy one of these machines off Ebay, they are about 1/2 the price there.



I have one personally and use it on my vehicle and we use to offer the service with my business.



I have removed the smell of a dead person after 6 days by the use of this machine, so it does work. It will leave the intense smell of an indoor swimming pool for the first day or so.
If you find out, let me know... I have a hyundai sonata year 2000 and the smell has always been there. Don't know why. I brought it in and they can put in an alcohol based solution to clean it out but every year, the first couple of times I run it, the smell is still there. So this is what I do. For the first couple of runs when you need it, keep the windows open and blast it. Use the incoming air (not the in cabin air) at first. If you run it for awhile the smell will go away. Later you can switch to just recirculating the in cabin air. I know this sounds silly too but if you go to a car wash, the one that does the wax that has 3 different colors and smells like fruit stripe gum, run the air during the time that the stuff is sprayed on your car. It makes the car smell nice... well, like gum actually. At least it doesn't smell like feet. Happy smellin'!
Did you buy the car used? Sounds like someone was a heavy smoker. Try useing baking soda, Sprinkle it all over the floor, so when you run the air conditioner this will circulate around. Baking soda takes oder out of houses, why would'nt it work for car's. Good Luck
Ah let me tell you what I found once. I had a Mercedes 300D, and for probably 15 years I parked it on the street under a tree with spruce-type needles. What was happening over all these years, although I did not know it, was that the needles from the tree were slipping in throught the plastic screen along the lower edge of the windshield (this was the air intake for the ventilation system). The needles were getting lodged inside the heater box, which is the main control unit with all the vent flaps and connections for AC and heater hoses and whatnot. This box was about two feet long and was located inside the dashboard and was connected to all the vents inside the car. After many years I began to notice a faint earthy smell. I am assuming this might be what you mean by %26quot;moldy%26quot;, but what it really smelled like was damp earth. At some point my air condifioner failed, and to try to find the problem the mechanics ended up taking out the entire dashboard of the car, which included this heater box. When they took that out, what they found out was that the heater box was full of needles from the tree and about 2 gallons of dark, damp dirt that had formed from the decomposition of the needles from that tree over at least 15 years. Two gallons of black dirt! So the musty, damp dirt smell was caused by exactly that.



You might have a similar condition. I never would have believed this possible had I not seen it for myself. Tell your mechanic about this and ask if it might be possible that your heater box is full of dirt. The air blowing over all this damp compost is picking up the aroma of wet dirt. At least, that is what was happening to me.
There is a spray -type product called Fridgi-Fresh that actually neutralizes that musty moldy scent.
  • camping tent rental
  • desktop issue
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment