Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why am I getting less miles per gallon on my 2006 CLK 350 after changing the air filters?

I just changed the air filters on my 2006 CLK 350 from stock to K%26amp;N air filters and my on dash mpg readings are down about 3mpg's on avg. Is it running to rich? Do I have to recalibrate the computer?



Wouldn't I get better mpg's? Isn't that what high performance air filters are designed to do?
Why am I getting less miles per gallon on my 2006 CLK 350 after changing the air filters?
It may be running too lean if you increased the airflow.



Mods like this often require reprogramming the computer to use them efficiently.



Most vehicles in the last few years have been programmed to be as fuel efficient as possible. Changing things often takes you the other way unlike in the older vehicles where there were improvements to be had.



If you get it programmed properly, you may pick up some torque or hp, but your mileage likely won't be much if any better than before the mods?
Why am I getting less miles per gallon on my 2006 CLK 350 after changing the air filters?
See if the K%26amp;N has a help line! Maybe you can call them to get some answers.
No, your probably burying your footy in the accelerator more than your letting us believe you are. High performance does just what you said. It causes the engine to open up %26amp; bring on more power which in turn takes more fuel.
Horsepower = gas + air

The more air you push through the engine, the more gas it will burn. See turbo chargers and super chargers.

If you want to improve gas mileage, put a restrictor in the intake. Some companies make such gimmicks that sit on the intake line and basically just restrict the flow, thus less gas mileage %26quot;improves%26quot;, but you have less HP.
Did you over oil the filter before you put it on? K%26amp;N filters need just a light coat of oil to catch the dust. If you get too much oil, the filter can't breathe properly.
  • database
  • web design and hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment